Module 4 is concentrated on music performance and technology. There was a new audio recording and editing software introduced called, Soundation.Technologically speaking, the software was adequate. n the first project we had in Soundation we were asked to modify the mix by using effects such as, cutting, amplification, and fade out. For this activity, Soundation was great! The editing process was easier to use for altering existing tracks than it was for creating and arranging. When it came to the second project that required more composition, I felt that Soundation wasn't as user-friendly.For example, other audio programs such as Garageband have several shortcuts and commands that could be used. I am not saying that this program was difficult to use, only that there are probably some that would be easier to use. This is especially important when considering student use. One feature that I did enjoy was how easily the "select" tool lined up the edited selection with the correct ticker mark. If I wanted to copy or paste a track further down in the overall piece, all I had to do was get in the relative area of the desired location and the program auto-adjusted everything to fit the new track. This is not the case in some programs like Logic. Overall, it is pretty user friendly although, it probably would be better if it were upgraded or updated.
The reading assignment discussed practicing and using technology in the practicing situation. Although the text makes a point to see the performance aspect in practice, I feel all performers would agree that there is a difference between the two. Still, if we encourage our students to think of their practice sessions as preparation for their actual performance, perhaps they would rehearse using a different mindset. The use of technology such as Smartmusic in rehearsal is very beneficial for many reasons. The most important of them in my opinion is the potential of renewed interest in the rehearsal process and the use of technology to expound on and fine tune specific music skills. As a choral director I have looked into purchasing the software for my students. There are not as many useful applications for voice as there are for instrumental music, however, one particular aspect of the software that is of interest to me is the application for voice pitch recognition. To me, this means that my students could actually sing a melody and be able to have a visual representation of their sound! Personally, I have utilized many methods to help students understand the concept of intonation but to have the ability for them to see when they are out of tune would be priceless! Additionally, there is a feature that would allow me to add up to three microphones to this application. They would also be able to visually have the software indicate pitches sung incorrectly in imported lines of music.
Another area discussed is the use of the internet in rehearsal. I try to use YouTube frequently to show examples (both good and bad) of studied concepts. This helps me with modeling for the students. However, another way that I use the internet in rehearsal is to review and re-enforce skills. I personally recommend www.musictechteacher.com. Not only are there many interactive games on rhythm, pitch, vocabulary and composers but there are also worksheets, printable quizzes and sample lessons. Many times I will use one of these games, like Rhythm Billionaire, as an activity before or after rehearsal. Sometimes I use it in the middle of tough rehearsals to divert their mental energy while keeping them engaged in the musical process.
Since I have read and have experienced so many benefits to these technological integrations, I have a hard time finding constraints. Using these methods would certainly improve a rehearsal experience.
The reading assignment discussed practicing and using technology in the practicing situation. Although the text makes a point to see the performance aspect in practice, I feel all performers would agree that there is a difference between the two. Still, if we encourage our students to think of their practice sessions as preparation for their actual performance, perhaps they would rehearse using a different mindset. The use of technology such as Smartmusic in rehearsal is very beneficial for many reasons. The most important of them in my opinion is the potential of renewed interest in the rehearsal process and the use of technology to expound on and fine tune specific music skills. As a choral director I have looked into purchasing the software for my students. There are not as many useful applications for voice as there are for instrumental music, however, one particular aspect of the software that is of interest to me is the application for voice pitch recognition. To me, this means that my students could actually sing a melody and be able to have a visual representation of their sound! Personally, I have utilized many methods to help students understand the concept of intonation but to have the ability for them to see when they are out of tune would be priceless! Additionally, there is a feature that would allow me to add up to three microphones to this application. They would also be able to visually have the software indicate pitches sung incorrectly in imported lines of music.
Another area discussed is the use of the internet in rehearsal. I try to use YouTube frequently to show examples (both good and bad) of studied concepts. This helps me with modeling for the students. However, another way that I use the internet in rehearsal is to review and re-enforce skills. I personally recommend www.musictechteacher.com. Not only are there many interactive games on rhythm, pitch, vocabulary and composers but there are also worksheets, printable quizzes and sample lessons. Many times I will use one of these games, like Rhythm Billionaire, as an activity before or after rehearsal. Sometimes I use it in the middle of tough rehearsals to divert their mental energy while keeping them engaged in the musical process.
Since I have read and have experienced so many benefits to these technological integrations, I have a hard time finding constraints. Using these methods would certainly improve a rehearsal experience.
I haven't come across many people using the vocal component of SmartMusic. I would be interested to see how it works.
ReplyDelete